Sunday, February 17, 2008

Snapshots in Time

Late this afternoon, Jude and I were sitting in the den trying to decide what we wanted to do for dinner. I had my laptop open and was downloading some music to put on Jude's ipod. We were listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road," released in 1975 and, for my money, one of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time. Suddenly, her shirt started popping out, as the baby moved around.

Of course, I'm thinking, this is awesome! In about six weeks, my wife is going to give birth to a rock and roll fan. He's already dancing!

I got up, sat down next to her in her favorite chair and the three of us listened to "Thunder Road" together. She rolled over on her side, facing the laptop, so the baby could get the full effect of the song. He kept moving a bit, though not quite as much and, certainly, not in time to the music. That will come later, especially if he inherits his mother's rhythm genes. I, of course, have no rhythm.

It's the little things, the times spent together as we await our son's birth, that are so special, I think.

No comments: