Saturday, August 30, 2008

Baseball and Babies


Thursday night, Jude, John Patrick and I went to the Nashville Sounds' season finale at Greer Stadium, a mile or so from our house. Renewal House was one of the highlighted charities for that night's game and a client's son was scheduled to throw out the first pitch, which was cool.

It was a beautiful night for baseball, with temperatures in the low 80s and a slight breeze. A little while after the game started, I left Jude at the Renewal House display just inside the front gate, as John Patrick and I went inside to watch some baseball. It was about 7 p.m., dinner time for him, so I took his bottle with me and strolled him out to the bleachers, where there was plenty of space to spread out.

As the sun set in the west past the left field wall and the famous guitar shaped scoreboard, I sat in the first row of the bleachers down the right field line and gave my son a bottle. Surrounded by the familiar sounds of a minor league baseball game - children laughing, beer vendors yelling, people talking, etc. - John Patrick stared up at me with his blue eyes, content, and drank his bottle, while I held him in my arms. It was probably one of the top 10 moments of my life.

No comments: