Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend Update

As I think I've mentioned before, I find myself really, really looking forward to Friday afternoon and the end of a work week, knowing that I've got the weekend to spend with John Patrick and Jude. Conversely, Sunday evenings are depressing, since I'll be returning to work the next morning and my time with my family will be necessarily limited.

The last couple of weeks, Jude and I have really enjoyed watching the Summer Olympics from Beijing, China. The first week, we were absolutely transfixed (as was everyone else in the country) by Michael Phelps' pursuit of excellence in the swimming pool, which culminated in his winning a record eight gold medals. Last week, we watched mainstream events, like men's basketball, tennis and track and field (one of my favorites). We also watched obscure events, like trampoline, table tennis, crew, volleyball and synchronized swimming. It's sad, tonight, that the 2008 Summer Olympics are over, since we had enjoyed coming home from work each night and watching the athletes compete.

Saturday morning, Jude and John Patrick accompanied me to Shelby Bottoms for my morning run, which was pretty cool (the weather, however, was hot and humic). Jude went for a walk with him in the stroller, while I ran on the Cornelia Fort Trail. They stopped in the new visitor's center, which is nice. There were a lot of people at the park (cyclists, walkers, runners and youth football teams) engaged in a variety of activities. It's great to see the park getting so much use.

Sunday morning, Jude, John Patrick and I went to church at St. Patrick's. Unfortunately, John Patrick wasn't in the mood for church. He started fussing during the homily, so I took him outside. He wasn't sleepy and he continued fussing for a half hour or so, until Jude came outside and we returned home. Of course, by the time we had gotten home, he was fast asleep in his car seat. Go figure.

As a side note, Jude recently read that at five months of age, an infant should be able to hold his bottle, while he is feeding. So, last night, when she fed John Patrick before he went to bed, Jude let go of the bottle after he put his hands around it. He held the bottle himself and continued to drink out of it. Kind of amazing, huh?

No comments: