Saturday, August 9, 2008

Morning Bliss


On most weekday mornings, Jude gets up first, showers and gets dressed, then wakes John Patrick. Next, she feeds him while I get up and shower, after which I take over and watch him until our nanny arrives at 8:30 a.m. I'm always a little jealous, because he's so happy to see her each morning.

It's a real treat to wake John Patrick after a night's sleep. First, he looks up from his crib and opens his blue eyes really wide. Then, he breaks into a huge smile, seeming to convey surprise and delight that it's morning and you're there to greet him, to kiss him and to love him.
Friday morning, Jude had to be at work early for a meeting. As she was about to leave, I woke John Patrick. He stared up at me with his sleepy, innocent eyes. Then, he smiled and started kicking his feet, which he does when he's happy or excited. My heart was filled with love for him, as I lifted him out of the crib to start his day.

After I changed him, I gave him a bottle. As he drank the bottle of breast milk, he looked up at me, perfectly content. I love feeding him, because it's a quiet, peaceful few minutes of one-on-contact with him. It's good bonding time.
John Patrick finished his bottle about 7:15 a.m. Then, I loaded him in the stroller and we walked up to the Frothy Monkey on 12th Avenue. It was a beautiful morning - not too hot - and for the first time, I could feel the end of summer approaching. At the Frothy Monkey, I ate breakfast while John Patrick looked all around, occasionally cooing to himself. On the walk back home, he fell asleep. Our nanny, Denise Hoey, got to the house right after I did, so I could leave for work.

Pretty near a perfect morning.

No comments: