Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Boulevard (Belmont, not Belle Meade)


On most Saturday mornings, I get up early and go for a run on the trails at Shelby Bottoms in East Nashville. After I finish my run, I meet Jude at the tennis courts at Shelby Park at 8:30 a.m., pick up John Patrick, then get coffee and meet Jude at home so he can eat at 10 a.m. Yesterday, I slept in, even though Jude planned to play tennis (due, no doubt, to the fact I had stayed up until almost 3 a.m. Friday night playing in a free online poker tournament - finished 22nd out of 5,000 - not too shabby!).

Anyway, I was preparing to take John Patrick for a walk to Bongo Java on Belmont Boulevard, when the telephone rang. It was Jude calling from Shelby Park. There had been a miscommunication and her friend, Allison, hadn't showed up to play tennis. We agreed to meet at Bongo Java, so Jude could take a walk with John Patrick on Belmont Boulevard, while I drove her Honda Pilot home.

As John Patrick and I strolled up to Bongo Java, we saw Jude walking across the street. Perfect timing! I handed off John Patrick to her and I was about leave, we saw our friend, Harriet Goodrich, walking up Belmont Boulevard. Harriet just graduated from law school, took the bar exam and is starting to work for a law firm in Nashville this fall. We hadn't seen her in quite a while, so it was great to chat and introduce her to John Patrick.

No comments: