Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Newman Brothers

I don't know much about raising one son.  I don't know a damn thing at all about raising two sons.

In fact, I'm still at the point where it feels really strange to refer to "my older son" or "my younger son."  Having two sons is going to take some getting used to, no doubt.

What I think, though, is that the best I can hope for is that my sons love each other and look out for each other.  I know they're going to fuss and fight, at times, but underneath the surface I hope they will always remember how much Jude and I love them and how much they love each other.

Before Joey was born, I had joked on numerous occasions about how J.P. was going to go from being "the man," to being "just another man," like all of the rest of us (men).  I was concerned (and still am, to a point) about how J.P. would adjust to Jude and me necessarily dividing our attention between two sons.  I wondered if J.P. realized Joey was not coming home from the hospital to our house for a visit, but that he actually was going to live with us.

My worries about how J.P. would feel about his little brother were unfounded, fortunately.  J.P. absolutely loves Joey.  He wants to "hold him" every day (which, frankly, scares the shit out of me).  Under Jude's watchful eye, J.P. had "held" Joey in our bed, propped up on pillows, several times.  J.P. constantly wants to know what Joey is doing.  He likes to watch him sleep or to be Jude's "assistant" when she changes Joey's diaper or give him a bath.

Interestingly, J.P. has determined Joey does 5 things - he poops, pees, eats, sleeps and smiles.  That's pretty accurate.  J.P. has keen powers of observation.


This may be the best photograph I have ever taken.  Hell, it may be the best photograph I ever take.

No comments: