Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Village

Last night, about 7:00 p.m., Jude drank a glass of cranberry juice and went upstairs to do a "kick count," because she hadn't felt the baby moving as much as normal.  When I checked on her 30 minutes or so later, she still wasn't comfortable with what she was feeling.  With very little discussion, we decided to make the quick drive over to Baptist Hospital to get her checked out.

This is the amazing part.

I called our friends, Jon and Carley Meade - Carley, of course, is J.P.'s longtime nanny - and asked if there was any way Carley could come over and, potentially, stay the night with J.P.  Keep in mind, it was Saturday night and I know they had plans.  Still, without a moment's hesitation, Carley said she would be right over.  And she was.

Within 15 minutes, Jon and Carley pulled up in front of our house as I was loading my truck with our suitcases, iPad, iPod, Kindle Fire, etc.  You know, just in case.  Although Jude and I thanked them profusely, Jon and Carley acted like it was no big deal.  J.P., of course, was excited to see them, although he could tell something was up.  I hooked up Jon with a pot of beef stew I had made and off we went.

It took us a few minutes to get admitted to the hospital, but once Jude had completed the paperwork we were whisked back to a labor and delivery room.  A nurse came in, spoke to us, then Jude go undressed in the bathroom.  She called to me and I got up and walked to the bathroom, then opened the door.

"Look at this," she said.  "It's ridiculous."  She was referring to her belly, protruding way, way out and hanging very low.  "Can you believe this?" she asked.  I just laughed, then remarked that it looked like her belly had grown larger than it was that morning.  She laughed, too.  She looked beautiful and took a couple of photos with my iPhone.

The nurse quickly found our son's heartbeat, loud and strong, as usual.  Prayers answered yet again.  Within an hour or so, we were released from the hospital and we drove home.  Carley and Jon were just about to put J.P. to bed, so we got to say goodnight to him.  Afterwards, we came downstairs to the kitchen and talked with Carley and Jon for a while before they left.

Here's the thing.  We can't do this alone.  That's why we're so lucky - so blessed - to have friends like Carley and Jon.  They're the best.  I can't thank them enough for their friendship, love and support over the past 4 years.  They're family.  They really are.

Tonight, I went to the gym about 9 p.m., after we put J.P. to bed, to run on the treadmill.  It was kind of peaceful, as I was the only person there.  After I finished, I saw that I had received several texts from friends and former clients wishing Jude and me well on Tuesday morning.  The fact that we have so many people thinking about us, pulling for us and praying for us means the world to me.

No comments: