Saturday, January 1, 2022

A Quick Goodbye to 2021

To quote Bono, "all is quiet on New Year's Day."  

I'm sitting outside at Dose - thank God they're open today - having a cup of coffee and enjoying the 70 degree (!) weather.  Rain is coming later this morning and colder weather tonight.  It's winter, after all, and  I'm tired of warm weather.  

I don't think I've ever been a big New Year's resolution guy.  One or two specific things, maybe, and a couple of general things.  That's usually about it for me

I read a lot in 2021.  29 books and, of course, countless magazine and newspaper pieces, almost all of it online.  More reading I think, in 2021, and less watching television shows or movies.  I always read a lot, of course, but I seemed to read more and watch less in 2021, if that makes sense.

I didn't hit my goal, in 2021, of running 1,000 miles.  I still have to add the mileage up but I'm guessing various injuries and illnesses limited me to 800 - 900.  We'll see.  The last couple of months I've been healthy and running well, which is a blessing.

Work is, well, fine, I guess.  Cruise control to a certain extent at this point.  A few trials and, at last count, I mediated 71 cases (more than I initially thought).  I handed off the HR stuff to Alisha, finally, toward the end of the year, something that was long overdue.  I felt burned out at times, which I guess is normal after almost 30 years of practicing law.

2021 was a good year for the boys, all things considered.  

J.P. made the difficult decision to leave USN and attend MBA, which appears to have been the right decision for him.  I had wondered if he would be good enough to play sports at MBA.  So far, so good, as he ran cross country, played soccer, and is playing basketball at school.  More importantly, he did well on his exams and ended up making all A's for the fall semester, which is quite an achievement.  He's worked hard and I'm very proud of him.  

He went to camp in Virginia for three weeks last summer - Woodbury Forest - a sports camp.  It was a great experience for him.  Transformative, I think.  He's making noice about returning this summer, as well.  

J.P. is growing up before my eyes.  5' 8" - easily taller than Jude - and he toys with me when we run together.  He's beginning to take a real interest in working out and he's been to the weight room at MBA a couple of times over the holiday break.  I guess I'm going to need to get into the gym, at least a little bit, to try and keep up with him.

Joe had a good second grade year at USN and is having a good third grade year, as well.  I still wonder, at times, if we should have started Joe on time, rather than waiting a year.  I think he's right where he needs to be, most likely.  He's charismatic, a natural leader, popular, and sets the tone for his class in terms of listening and getting his work done.   

Joe continues to improve in basketball and baseball.  He had a blast playing baseball in the spring and fall for Oliver Davis and the Diamondbacks.  That will continue this spring, I know, and he's looking forward to it, as am I.  He's stronger in some ways than J.P. was at nine years old but I'm not sure he's as natural of an athlete.  He's going to have to start working harder, on his own, to get better, and we've talked about that quite a bit.  I'm not sure he's as naturally driven as J.P. is, which is okay.  Still, it's something for me to keep an eye on, as he may need me to motivate him a little more and I'm prepared to do that.

Jude had some unforeseen health issues in 2021, which I'm not going to go into here in any detail.  She handled it with strength and stoicism - much, much better than I would have - which, really, is par for the course with her.  She battled through it and, hopefully, will be fine moving forward.  

I never cease to be amazed at Jude's resolve and strength.  Over the last few years, she's had multiple eye procedures and surgeries - some of which were incredibly painful - and she never complained.  It was the same in 2021.  No complaints, just get through it.

All in all, I'm glad 2021 is over, I think.  I hope we all stay healthy and safe in 2022.  







No comments: