Thursday, January 20, 2022

The Covid-19 Diaries; Vol.1

After almost two years of running away from Covid-19, it finally caught up with me. 

Monday evening, after a long but productive afternoon in an informal settlement conference, I decided to go for a run after I got home.  It already was dark and cold, but Monday is mileage day, and really wanted to get a run in before dinner.  So, off I went.

As is so often the case when I have to talk myself into a run, I ended up having a great one.  30 degrees but a beautiful winter night in Nashville.  I felt strong and ran a good pace, right at 8:00/mile.  My original plan was to run three miles but I felt good and decided to run four miles.  Up Fairfax to West End, then down Blakemore to Hillsboro Village and home.  By the time I finished, I was warm and even walked a few extra blocks, listening to a podcast, while I cooled down.  

When I walked in the house, I told Jude and the boys that the run reminded me that winter night runs are my favorite runs.  

Later that night, before bed, I felt a tickle in the back of my throat.  Weird, I thought but probably nothing to worry about.  Jude and I went to bed and about 1 a.m., I woke up, feeling restless and achy.  Now, I was concerned, so I got up, grabbled my pillows, and walked into the front of the house and the guest room to sleep.

I didn't sleep, though.  I just laid in the bed in the guest room for the rest of the night, tossing and turning, with my body aching.  I was so cold I finally got up and put on long johns and wool socks.  I dozed fitfully in the morning, then got up and gave myself a Covid-19 test.

Positive.

I wasn't surprised but I was very, very disappointed.  I'm got my first and second vaccinations as soon as they were available.  I got the booster, too.  For the most part, I've been very careful to socially distance.  I don't go to restaurants, church, or Predators' games.  

Now, I do go to Belmont games but, usually, the crowd is small enough that I'm not worried.  The Belmont-Murray St. game was more crowded, though.  Also, I spend extended periods of time in conference rooms with people during mediations and client meetings.  There is just now way around that.  

So, how did I get it?  I guess I'll never know for sure but can tell you this, for certain - having Covid-19 is not fun.  I've felt like shit the past three days with no improvement.  If anything, each day has been a little bit worse.  

I've heard it's likely to last three or four days.  I've also heard, from a friend, that he wasn't better for eight to ten days.  

Time will tell.  For now, though, there's nothing to do but ride it out.



No comments: