Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Wide World of Sports

Tuesday morning, after a Monday that seemed like a Sunday.

Christmas vacation officially ended for Joe this morning when I dropped him off at school on my way to work.  I guess it ended for me, too, as it's my first full day back in the office.  The winter grind, which I kind of enjoy, has officially started.

Yesterday, for the boys, was a Wide World of Sports day.  

The boys woke up and for 30 minutes or so, played various sports games on their iPads.  NBA2K, FIFA, Madden, etc.

I worked in the morning, then dropped J.P. off at MBA for basketball practice at noon.  While he was at practice, Joe and I went to D-bats for a baseball workout.  We threw to get warmed up, then I had him throw 20 or 30 pitches off the mound.  Next, he hit a bucket of balls off the tee, then hit a bucket of balls that I soft tossed to him.  We finished the workout with him hitting two buckets of balls with me live pitching.  Our reward was a hot chocolate for him and coffee for me at Honest Coffee Roasters on Charlotte.

After Joe and I picked J.P. up from basketball practice, we relaxed at home for an hour or so, then it was off to Top Golf.  Joe has been dying to go to Top Golf throughout Christmas vacation and J.P. wanted to try out his new golf clubs.  I'm not a golfer and not the biggest Top Golf fan but, actually, we had a good time.  Appetizers, dinner, dessert, and golf.  

Jude's golf swing is a thing of beauty and I remain convinced she could really play, and play well, if she took a few lessons.  J.P. and Joe have potential, if for no other reason than their hand-eye coordination.  Really, though, they need lessons before they develop bad swing habits that are hard to break in the long run.  My swing - Charles Barkleyesque - is beyond hope.  

Joe and I left Top Golf and drove straight to MBA for his 7 p.m. basketball practice, which I helped coach.  10 boys, varying skill levels, working on layups, zone defense, and passing.  I want to be more involved with Joe's basketball team because he and his teammates need to hear another voice and need more work on the fundamentals - dribbling, passing, playing defense.  I'm hoping to find the time to participate more in practice and possibly at games.

And, of course, we watched the Steelers - Browns games on Monday Night Football when we got home.  And the end of the Grizzlies - Nets game (big win for the Ja Morant and the Grizzlies).  And Monday Night Raw (WWE).

The Wide World of Sports.

  


No comments: