Saturday, January 1, 2011

Acts of Faith

I love to read.

Newspapers, magazines of all sorts, on-line content, but especially books.  Non-fiction, fiction, memoirs, biographies, books of short stories, books of essays, all of it.  I feel slightly off kilter if I don't have a book going that I'm interested in at any given point in time.  As a result, I'll often start two, three or more books until I find one that really grabs me.

Also, I am forever purchasing books that, for one reason or another, pique my interest.  I place them in my bookcases, keep them at work or stack them up next to my side of the bed, always planning on reading them . . . eventually.  Often times, I forget what drew me to a particular book in the first place.

In J.P.'s nook, by the futon, we have a basket of paperback books, many of which I have read but some I haven't.  On top of the stack, for the last few years, sat Philip Caputo's "Acts of Faith."  Strangely, it almost seemed like the book was staring at me each day, reproachfully, whenever I glanced at the basket as I hurried downstairs, on my way somewhere.

A month or so ago, I picked the "Acts of Faith" up out of the basket, took it into our bedroom and started reading it  before I went to bed.  A few minutes ago, I finished it.  A book like "Acts of Faith" is why I read, why I enjoy reading so much.  A book like that moves you and resonates with you and its characters stay with you, like old friends you never see anymore but about whom you have fond memories.      

 

No comments: