Saturday, January 29, 2011

Renewal House

Thursday evening, I attended a party for Jude given by the Board of Directors, past and present, in appreciation of her service as executive director at Renewal House the past seven years.  Jude's last day at work there is Monday.

It was a wonderful event.  Jude's parents attended, which was nice.  I lost count of the number of people who pulled me aside and told me how much they appreciated the work Jude has done at Renewal House during her tenure as executive director and how much she will be missed.  As I assured them all, it's been a labor of love.  

It's difficult to believe how quickly seven years has come and gone.  I remember, vividly, how lost Jude felt during her first weeks and months at Renewal House.  After work, we'd sit in the den, eating dinner, and talking about her day - the challenges she faced, the learning curve and how steep it was, the emotional ups and downs of working with and for, on a daily basis, women and families at risk and in need of help and support.  Those first few months, a friend of ours - Scott Sims - likened Jude's situation to trying to get a drink of water from a fire hydrant.  How true, in terms of the way she felt.

Over the past seven years, I had a front row seat to watch Jude grow into the role of executive director.  She gained confidence and became more sure of herself, almost on a daily basis.  I attended many, many Renewal House events (fundraisers, patrons' parties, reverse trick-or-treats, bar-b-que's, clean up days, etc.).  I even drove a van of mothers and their children to a hockey game on one occasion.  Every time I attended an event, I gained a little big of insight into the importance of Jude's job and the impact she had every day on the families living at Renewal House.  And every time, I was amazed.

I've seen Jude come home after work, energized by a positive outcome or interaction with a client, board member or donor.  I've also seen her come home after work, distraught over a mother's relapse or the loss of a grant from a government agency.  I've seen her pour her heart and soul into a job that often took a lot out of her, that often left her exhausted and in need of down time to recharge her batteries.  I've seen her grow professionally and gain the confidence and self assurance that only comes with a job well done.

Selfishly, I've said for a few years I hoped Jude's next job would not be quite so much on the front lines. I've hoped she might go to work, perhaps, for a larger organization in an administrative type of role, where she wouldn't face the daily pressure and stress of making the final decision on an issue or issues that would affect an entire organization.  I'm interested, obviously, to see where she ends up.

Renewal House is a wonderful place.  Really, though, it's more than a place.  It's bigger than that.  It's a concept, an idea, a philosophy, a spiritual oasis for mothers and their families, supported by so many of middle Tennessee's true philanthropists, from the founders to the past and current board members.  

I'll never forget a conversation I had with Judge Barbara Haynes in her chambers, more than seven years ago.  Jude was looking for a new job, for a career change.  "Jude," Judge Haynes said, "needs a job that feeds her soul."  What an apt description of my lovely wife from a woman who has been a true mentor to her.  Well, Renewal House fed Jude's soul for the past seven years.  She's a better person for having worked there.

I would be remiss if I didn't post a link to the Renewal House website. 

 



  

        

No comments: