Monday, January 3, 2011

Mad at Mad Donna's

New Year's Eve, Jude, J.P. and I took her parents with us to Mad Donna's, a restaurant in East Nashville (formerly Radio Cafe, one of my all-time favorite East Nashville spots).  We'd had a really nice meal there a few weeks ago, so we thought we'd head across the river ahead of the dinner rush and return home safe and sound before the New Year's Eve crazies got out and about.

We arrived about 6:30 p.m. and were seated upstairs, where there's a second bar, several tables and a slightly raised stage for musical performances.  Initially, I was a little concerned about the stray cords on the stage, but I checked things out and it didn't appear there was too much trouble for J.P. to get into, especially with us watching him.

We ordered J.P.'s food first, as we typically do when we go out, so he'd be occupied while we waited for our food.  He finished while we were still eating, so we let him get out of the high chair to run around a bit.  By then, there were a couple other tables seated with people and he immediately walked over to them to say "hello."  He quickly followed up with "what's your name?"  Everyone appeared to be enjoy interacting with him.

Suddenly, a young man (the manager) appeared at the top of the stairs and, rather brusquely, asked us if we could keep our son in his seat.  Jude and I looked at each other, surprised, then said "sure," realizing that if we forced him sit back down in the high chair, J.P. would raise complete hell and ruin everyone's dinner.  Jude took J.P. downstairs, outside, and we decided to cut our evening short and head back home.

While we waited on the check, I ran into the manager.  Still smarting and a bit irritated, I suggested to him that we didn't intend to return to Mad Donna's.  I also suggested I was going to post a review, on-line (on one of the many restaurant review websites) and warn people that Mad Donna's wasn't "kid friendly."  He and I exchanged words, then I walked back upstairs to our table.

A couple of minutes later, the manager walked upstairs, stopped at our table and advised me that was picking up our restaurant and bar tab.  He didn't want their to be any hard feelings and he apologized for any misunderstanding.  I appreciated his apology and insisted he at least allow me to pay the bar tab.  He admitted, more or less, that no one had complained that J.P. was being a nuisance.  Rather, he was worried he might get underfoot and fall, have a tray dropped on him, etc.

As I thought about the entire episode later that evening, I couldn't help but dwell on a couple of interesting points.

First, it was the first time anyone, let alone a stranger, had criticized my son.  The emotions the manager instantly invoked in me were startling.  I was surprised, angry, hurt and defensive. Part of me understood the manager had a legitimate point, but part of me was pissed, really pissed, that a stranger would dare to criticize my son.

Second, it was surprising how quickly the manager changed his tune, apologized to me and offered to "comp" our meal.  Why would he do that?  The more I thought about it, the more convinced I became that his change in heart was due to my comment that I was going to post an unfavorable review on the internet.  With Twitter, Facebook (other social media) and the on-line restaurant review websites, a business (especially one in a service industry) has to be aware of what people are saying, good or bad.  That's the power of the internet, I think, good and bad.

Overall, it was an interesting, thought provoking evening.  And no, I didn't post an unfavorable review of Mad Donna's on the internet.

No comments: