Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Day After




Neither Jude nor I got much sleep last night. First, our nursery nurse, Robin, brought John Patrick to us from the nursery about 2 a.m. He was fussy, crying a bit, but we were able to calm him down and get him back to sleep. Then, our nurse or a tech came in to check on Jude every hour after that, at 3 a.m., 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. Fortunately (for me, anyway), I was able to roll over and ignore most of what was going on, although I wasn't able to sleep soundly. We did sleep in until about 8:00 a.m., which was nice.

After I got up and showered, I went to the nursery and retrieved John Patrick, then brought him back to our room. He stayed with us throughout the day, alternating between sleeping, crying and trying to breast feed. Believe it or not, I'm turning into a professional diaper changer. Jude's still very sore, obviously, from the C-section, so it makes more sense for me to change all of the diapers. Actually, I've enjoyed it.

We got to spend some more time with Jude parents, her brother and his fiance, Megan. James and Megan flew in from New York City, which was really nice. James seems quite taken with being an uncle, a feeling to which I can certainly relate. My sister, Alice, stopped by, as well, and delivered two dozen cupcakes I had ordered from Gigi's, a new cupcake store on 21st Avenue (I swear, I'm not making that up - a cupcake store). The cupcakes were a huge hit, especially with the nurses. The number of different flavors is astounding. We have banana, chocolate malt, birthday cake, strawberry angel food cake, double chocolate, rasberry cocunut and lemon. My mother dropped by this afternoon and delivered us a couple of towels and a blanket for me.

The breast feeding is a challenge, as we expected it would be. Fortunately, a lactation consultant - Paula - stopped by our room twice today to assist us. She was fantastic and with her help and guidance, Jude gained a lot more confidence in her ability to breast feed our son. By this evening, he was latching on her breast and really seemed to be making progress. I'm telling you, it's something to see. After he finished, he practically passed out and was sleeping soundly until we returned him to the nursery about 9:30 p.m.

As a matter of fact, Jude and I returned John Patrick to the nursery together, as she ventured from our room for the first time. We made a couple of laps around the hallway, with Jude pushing the rolling bassinet and leaning on it for support, before arriving at the nursery. Our plan, currently, is for our nursery nurse to bring him to us every three hours (midnight, 3 a.m. and 6 a.m.), so he can breast feed. Sounds like another night without a lot of sleep, which I suspect is going to be the norm for a while.

No comments: