Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Naming Rights

Three weeks ago, when I met Jude at our doctor's office for an appointment, I greeted her in the waiting room with wonderful news - I had decided on the perfect name for our baby - "Virgil." After immediately saying, "uh, no," she inquired, not for the first time, "where do you come up with these names?" Where, indeed?

Actually, as I was waiting on the elevator in the lobby of the building in which our doctor's office is located, I had seen a plaque on a wall that had the names of hospital board members at the time the building was constructed. One of the board members was named "Virgil," and his name was on the plaque. Thus, a brilliant idea was born (pun intended) - "Virgil Newman."

After I explained the origin of the name to Jude, she made an interesting and rather astute observation. As a rule, there is a direct correlation between what I'm doing and the origin of a particular idea for a name. When we're at a hockey game, I suggest "Jean Pierre," "Marek," etc. When I'm listening to music, I suggest "Bruce" (Springsteen) or "Tom" or "Petty" (Tom Petty).

That's a pretty good theory, though it doesn't explain my affinity for "Percival," "Beauregard," or "Jed."

Here's link to an article from the New York Times that I'm using to bolster my argument in support of some of the more unusual names I have suggested. Check it out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/science/11tier.html?em&ex=1205380800&en=ed5eac5a9b454406&ei=5087%0A

No comments: