Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Sunday

As I've mentioned before, an important part of our life is attending church on Sundays at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. It's kind of hard to explain, but from my standpoint, anyway, I just feel a sense of peace on Sunday mornings, from the time we arrive at St. Patrick's until we leave. Normally, we sit in the same place, up front on the left, amidst the same people. It's reassuring, to be in the same place, at church, with the same people, every Sunday.

It's human nature, I think, to be frightened of the unknown. In a matter of days, three to be exact, Jude and I are going to begin our journey into the biggest unknown of all . . . parenthood. Not to proselytize, but it helps me tremendously to know that every week I can go to St. Patrick's, take a deep breath, relax, and know that my prayers for Jude's health and well being, along with that of our baby, will be heard.

Yesterday, St. Patrick's was packed for the Sunday morning service, since it was Easter . Although we arrived early, our normal seats were taken, so we sat up front, on the right side of the church. When it was time to take communion, I opened up the hymnal and was delighted to see the hymn to be sung during communion was one of my favorites - #355 - "I Am the Bread of Life." As the congregation began singing, Jude whispered to me that she wanted to go through the communion line on the left, as we normally do, so Father Eric Fowlkes would give us communion.

We walked to the back of the church, got in the communion line on the left, and began making our way, slowly, to the front of the church. As we did so, several people who were sitting down and waiting to take communion, looked up at Jude and smiled as we walked by them. I could literally feel their warmth and kindness as they beamed up at her.

Jude always walks immediately in front of me to take communion, so she reached Father Eric first. As the congregation continued to sing the hymn I love so much, Father Eric smiled at Jude and quietly gave her a special blessing, asking that God keep her safe. It was, to me, a very poignant moment. I had tears in my eyes when I received Holy Communion, then followed Jude back to our seats, where we knelt in prayer.

No comments: